If you have ever read some of the consumer utilities forums concerning Heat Interface Units (HIUs) and communal heating projects generally, you will know that a commonly raised concern is the inability to switch energy suppliers (like those of us on regular gas supply can do fairly easily thus keeping energy prices keen). When future occupiers buy or rent a property that has its heating and / or hot water supplied as part of communal or district heating scheme it is very important that the industry gets across the many advantages to the consumer of having their heating needs served in this way to get them fully on board.
Here are some of the many benefits of living in a property served by an HIU:
- In terms of day-to-day operation for the occupier it’s just like having a boiler as normal but without the flame. The heating system is controlled by a thermostat in the usual way, exactly like a regular central heating system.
- Occupants will find that all their hot water and / or heating requirements are easily supplied by HIUs, which provide instant supply on demand. They will find the system very responsive.
- Communal heating is all about improving energy efficiency, reducing CO2 and saving on running costs. This should be reflected in the consumers energy bills compared to an equivalent property with conventional gas supply.
- HIUs are very easy to operate – for example our new Mibec HIU is simple and intuitive to use with a clear screen and only 4 buttons to change any settings.
- HIUs take up very little space – Our units are extremely compact in size and will even fit into a standard 600mm cupboard unit – so no more unsightly large boilers in the home.
- Ease of maintenance – HIU are very straight forward to service compared to a gas boiler with easy access to all components inside the box for the service engineer – saving time and money. For example the plate heat exchangers are extremely easy to access (at the front) and can be removed for cleaning in seconds.
- Reliability – Ultimately less to go wrong. Our Mibec HIU uses very high quality components in its construction such as a low energy Wilo Erp (Energy Related Products) compliant pump, and a uniquely design strainer with increased surface area for longer operation without blocking.
- No requirement for flues – providing more flexibility around the design and layout of the property, and for those in rented properties, removing the need for individual gas compliance checks. Eliminating gas supply also means no worries about carbon monoxide emissions.
- Great for underfloor heating – for example our Mibec HIU is fully compatible with low temperature systems such as those in UFH. The installer simply sets the required value for temperature on installation.
- Accurate metering – HIU systems include individual accurate metering which makes billing fairer. Pre-payment metering can also be accommodated as an option. Occupants will also have good visibility of consumption promoting energy saving around the home.
If you would like to find out more please visit our Heat Interface Unit product pages where you can download our latest technical brochures. At Mibec we offer a full free of charge specification service covering the whole of the UK, designed to support architects, specifiers or contractors, helping you to select the right heating solution to meet your needs. Please feel free to email or call our support department on 01948 661639 where one of our highly trained advisers will be happy to help you with any HIU or communal heating queries.